Polyglycolic Acid Sutures | PGA sutures
PGA is an ideal and time tested synthetic absorbable suture, widely used by surgeons all over the world. PGA's superior features over catgut are predictable absorption, outstanding tensile strength, in-vivo inertness and excellent handling properties.
Polyglycolic Acid Suture is a synthetic, absorbable, sterile, surgical suture composed of 100% glycolide, coated with polycaprolactone and calcium stearate. PGA suture retain approximately 75% of PGA initial strength after two weeks. Approximately 45% of the PGA suture’s original tensile strength remains. Polyglycolic Acid Suture has been found to be non-antigenic, non-pyrogenic and elicit only mild tissue reactivity during the absorption process. The absorption time for Polyglycolic Acid (PGA) is 60 to 90 days. Absorption of bio-absorbable suture occurs by hydrolysis ; beginning with loss of tensile strength followed by loss of mass. PGA suture are available in dyed (violet colour suture) and also un-dyed versions from USP sizes 6-0 to USP size 2. PGA suture are indicated for use in general soft tissue approximation including ophthalmic surgery. Polyglycolic Acid Suture is not indicated for cardiovascular and neurological tissue approximation. PGA suture have first launched in India by us under the Brand name Petcryl which provided the first Synthetic Absorbable Suture to the Indian market apart from Vicryl suture by Ethicon. Vicryl, being a Polyglactin material is made from made from copolymer of 90% Glycolide and 10% L-lactide but Petcryl suture are 100% glycolide.
Distinctive Characteristics of PGA Suture:
- Polyglycolic Acid, better known as PGA, is composed of polymers of glycolide acids
- PGA surgical suture is coated to allow for easier passage through tissues with only minimal drag.
- Petcryl PGA suture meet all the requirements established by the United States Pharmacopoeia (USP) and the European Pharmacopoeia (EP) for Synthetic Absorbable Surgical Sutures.
- Smooth tie down
- A decreased tendency to irritate tissue
- Greater tensile strength
- Longer absorption period
- Read more about pga sutures manufactured by Dolphin Sutures